I want to start retinol but I really don't want to go through months of peeling and irritation

​

my physician has been recommending retinol for about a year and I keep saying I'll start it and then not starting it.

it's not that I don't believe it works. everything I've read says it does. it's the getting-there part that keeps stopping me. the accounts I've seen are around peeling, skin that looks worse before it looks better, sensitivity that makes your whole routine feel like a minefield. one person I know stopped after three weeks because her skin was so raw she couldn't wear anything on it.

I don't have the kind of schedule where I can look like that for two months and just wait it out.

my physician mentioned ZO's new retinol specifically and said the delivery system is different. not just a lower dose but something about how the retinol actually gets into the skin. I'm trying to understand whether that changes the experience in any real way.

for people who were hesitant and started anyway: was the reality as bad as what you'd heard? and for anyone on ZO specifically, did the experience feel different?



Submitted October 9, 2026 at 10:47AM by Avshalom_687 https://ift.tt/iWcTepb

Comments